Saturday 14 August 2010

ROSIE ON FRINGE STAGE

Rosie Nimmo was advised by her supervisor to get more balance into her life so she started singing.
That helped the Edinburgh-based therapist cope with stress while working with young people who suffered sexual abuse.
A voice coach then heard Rosie and told her to take her singing career further. She joined a blues and rock band.
The rest is history. Now, Rosie has her own band which appears at festivals all over Britain.
She also has two albums, the covers of which were self-designed, and Rosie is in demand.
She will provide the entertainment at the launch of the Edinburgh Book Festival for the second year running.
And the popular singer awaits word to see if one of her compositions will be used by VisitScotland in a TV commercial next year.
Multi-talented Rosie, a graduate of Edinburgh College of Art, has shown work at Edinburgh’s world-famous RSA.
And she fits her artistic work around her real job, providing adults with additional support.
All this is a far cry from nine years ago when her stage career began.
Rosie said: “I sang all of the time, even at karaoke events. Friends suggested I did more singing and it was when I met my supervisor that things started to happen.
“I told her that I would love to develop my singing as it brought great joy and she knew a voice coach who told me that I had a voice worth doing something with.
“With her encouragement, I joined a blues and rock band but left a year later to start up my own blues, rock and soul band, Rosy Blue, with a friend from work.”
The friend was Stuart Allardyce and he and Rosie have developed the band which plays every year in the Dundee Blues Bonanza.
They also appeared at last year’s Maryport Blues Festival and are regulars at local venues in and around Scotland’s Capital.
Last weekend, they were involved in Edinburgh International Jazz and Blues Festival.
Rosie said: “In the last few years I’ve started to write my own songs based on personal experience and observations.
“We’ve now produced two albums which have been played on several national BBC radio shows and I’m waiting to hear if a track will be used by VisitScotland in their television advertising next year.”
So, where can you see Rosie at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in 2010? The Acoustic Music Centre @ St Bride’s on August 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment