Saturday 21 August 2010

NURSE HAS CURE FOR FRINGE BLUES

ROBERTO CASSANI is a community nurse in Perthshire but he’s hoping to make a splash at the Edinburgh Fringe.
The Scone-based singer turned his back on a record contract with a major record company in Italy and moved to Scotland ten years ago.
He now divides his life between music and nursing.
Roberto explained: “I’m a community nurse in north rural Perthshire, visiting children and adult patients in their own homes.
“I love nursing and performing equally and I have made the decision of doing them both. In Italy I was a full-time musician. I had a record contract with the major company but I didn't like the record company and their way of making music. It was all about making money.
“That totally stripped me of the joy of playing for a while so I took off to Scotland with my guitar and no English at all.
“I learnt English, met my wife, studied to become a nurse and started writing songs again, this time avoiding the record company route and becoming a travelling minstrel instead. “All I try to do is make people smile, laugh, make them happy, and it is working so far.”
His achievements in the last year include winning Burnsong, a prestigios songwriting competition aiming at finding songwriters who, apparently, would make Burns proud.
He performed at the Scottish Parliament to close the Homecoming Celebrations with a song called Put good knickers on and go into Town which is also the name of his current album and the title of his Fringe show.
Roberto added: “I’ve recorded at the legendary Sun Studio in Memphis, Tennessee, was invited to perform as an official showcase artist at the prestigious International Folk Alliance in Memphis, Tennessee and played at major UK festivals, including the Wickerman and Belladrum Festival.
“My plans for next year include releasing my new album Roberto Cassani on the Flying Trapeze.
“I'll also tour a new show called The Three Wise Men, with Indie legend Martin Stephenson and comedian Bruce Morton.
“Finally, after the new album is released, I'll take it on the road with more gigs and festival appearances.”

No comments:

Post a Comment